Civic Technology Product Manager
Rock the Vote is seeking a Civic Technology Product Manager. This position will be a key member of Rock the Vote’s civic technology and data team, reporting to the Director of Civic Technology and Policy. The location for this role is flexible and will be remote during the pandemic.
The Civic Technology Product Manager will be primarily responsible for the development, testing, optimization, and maintenance of Rock the Vote’s suite of cutting-edge technology, including our platforms for online voter registration, absentee ballot requests, registration status lookups, ballot information, voting location lookups, P2P SMS, field canvassing, and more. This position will be involved in strategic decision-making about our product roadmap, as Rock the Vote continues to develop trusted, innovative tools to empower and mobilize young voters.
We’re looking for candidates passionate about technology’s role in modernizing, streamlining, and scaling the civic process. The Civic Technology Product Manager will devise innovative product solutions that alleviate barriers to participation, employing both a user- and data-centered approach to product updates and growth for voter registration, civic and voter education, voting, and organizing.
Candidates must be eager to work in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment and able to balance and prioritize competing priorities. Must be able to periodically work long, irregular hours. This position requires an individual who can serve as a thought leader on the civic technology and data team and partner to the Director of Civic Technology and Policy.
- Oversee the development, testing, optimization, and maintenance of new and existing civic technology tools, working closely with engineering team;
- Actively identify and pursue improvements to Rock the Vote’s technology by driving platform testing and experimentation, identifying new product solutions based on voter needs, and developing data-driven evaluation strategies for measuring impact;
- Support the development of Rock the Vote’s product roadmap, balancing updates to core products alongside new feature requests;
- Manage in-house developer and Rock the Vote’s engineering partner;
- Project manage development work for partner civic technology tools;
- Proactively communicate product updates and features to other Rock the Vote team members, and support the development of related marketing materials, partner recruitment and onboarding, and other forms of cross-team collaboration as needed;
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Civic Technology and Policy.
- 2-3+ years of experience in an electoral, civic engagement, or political campaign;
- Experience with product development and/or civic technology;
- Experience working in collaboration with engineers, designers, and product leadership;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to distill complex information into easy-to-understand insights;
- Obsessive attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize workload in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to quickly learn new technology and processes;
- Experience or familiarity with HTML/CSS, A/B testing, and data analysis;
- A demonstrated commitment to civic engagement and Rock the Vote’s mission.
- Familiarity with Catalist or other commercial voter file vendors;
- Understanding of civic data, voting laws, and election administration processes;
- Proficiency in macOS, Asana, Slack, WordPress, and G Suite.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary range is 50,000 – 65,000.
- Competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, and vision premiums, 100% of medical premiums for employee dependents, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, employer retirement contributions (Simple IRA), cell phone stipend, professional development opportunities, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and at least 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “Civic Technology Product Manager”.
Rock the Vote is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for a diverse applicant pool and strongly encourage women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community, and persons from low-income and working-class backgrounds to apply.