Vice President of Programs
Rock the Vote seeks a Vice President of Programs. This position is part of the Rock the Vote senior executive team and reports to the President. The position location is flexible, and will be remote during the pandemic.
The Vice President of Programs is responsible for overseeing all program areas at Rock the Vote, including: Civic Technology and Data, Corporate Partnerships, Sports Partnerships, and Campaigns and Democracy. The VP will be responsible for overall strategy and management of the directors who run each program, ensuring smooth communication and coordination within the broad program areas and across the organization. VP will be responsible for the ultimate success of each program through strong coaching and management that pushes program directors to excel.
The VP will play a critical role as a member of Rock the Vote’s senior executive team in strategic decision-making as Rock the Vote continues to enhance its quality programming, builds capacity, and grows. Additionally, the VP of Program will be responsible for contributing to the leadership and culture of the organization, working closely with other VP’s and the President to guide the organization and ensure the collaboration and cooperation between departments.
Candidates must be eager to work in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment and able to balance and prioritize competing priorities. Must be able to periodically work long, irregular hours. This position requires an individual who can serve as a thought leader in the organization and partner to the President.
- Collaborate with and provide high-level strategic advice to the President on program development, including long-term strategy and growth, targeting, and opportunities.
- Oversee development of program strategy, plans and metrics, and the staff who run them.
- Mentor and develop talent of program staff, and hold the team accountable to a high standard of performance.
- Facilitate full collaboration between programs and with other departments in the organization, proactively identifying and resolving pain points.
- Oversee Civic Technology and Data team, responsible for the strategic development, maintenance, execution, testing, security, and deployment of Rock the Vote’s suite of civic technology tools to partners; website; voter and election-related data; and email and SMS texting programs as well as its work with election officials to innovate and improve civic technology.
- Oversee Campaigns and Democracy team, responsible for policy and advocacy prioritizing voting rights and youth-specific policy and litigation; issue and electoral organizing; voter engagement; higher-ed and nonprofit partnerships and coalitions, and civic education programs. Ensures team develops scalable, metrics-driven campaigns informed by and contributing to research.
- Oversee Corporate and Sports Partnerships team members, including vision and strategy for growth tied to metrics and goals, including odd-year/multi-year partnerships; recruit, foster and strengthen partnerships integral to sustainability, growth and marketing of organization; and ensure quality control of partnerships and materials in partner campaigns;
- Collaborate with VP of Development, VP of Finance and Management and program staff to communicate programmatic narratives in proposals and reports; identify and maximize opportunities for funding in line with strategic vision; and ensure that projects and initiatives align with budgets and any donation restrictions/requirements.
- Collaborate with VP of Marketing and Communications to ensure narrative of Rock the Vote’s programmatic impact, identify opportunities and communicate research; provide information and background for media requests; and ensure quality of partnership materials
- Represent Rock the Vote in conversations with funders, political partners, and other stakeholders, in media and on panels as needed
- Support other Rock the Vote and Rock the Vote Action Fund projects and activities as needed
- 10-12 years of non-profit and political campaign experience, that includes significant and high level management experience.
- Understanding of c3 and c4 appropriate activities.
- Ability to serve as counselor to President on all matters relating to Rock the Vote’s Programs.
- Proven and highly effective written and oral communication skills, with an ability to distill complex information into easy to understand messages under pressure.
- Experience managing both staff and consultants.
- Ability to communicate strategy and direction to staff and effectively delegate to reach goals and milestones.
- Ability to work independently, with a commitment to open and honest communication.
- Experience coaching and mentoring staff.
- Adaptability and ability to work with and manage relationships with different personalities
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Experience creating and implementing sustainable systems.
- Commitment to working collaboratively and in partnership with organizational leaders.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary range is 90,000 – 110,000
- Competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, and vision premiums, 100% of medical premiums for employee dependents, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, employer retirement contributions (Simple IRA), cell phone stipend, professional development opportunities, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
Submit cover letter, resume, and at least 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “VP of Programs”.
Rock the Vote is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for a diverse applicant pool and strongly encourage women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community, and persons from low-income and working-class backgrounds to apply.