Vice President of Development
Rock the Vote seeks a Vice President of Development. This position is part of the Rock the Vote senior executive team and reports to the President. The position location is flexible, and will be remote during the pandemic.
The Vice President of Development is primarily responsible for all aspects of 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 fundraising and development for the organization, including updating, establishing and executing Rock the Vote’s multi-year development plan. Work in partnership with the President to implement and further advance diversified fundraising plans and communications, including foundation and corporate grant programs; individual giving programs (major, mid-level, small, and legacy); merchandise; fund and board development; and special events to meet annual budgets and growth goals to create a diverse, reliable, and sustainable cash flow.
The VP will play a critical role as a member of Rock the Vote’s senior executive team in strategic decision-making as Rock the Vote continues to enhance its quality programming, build capacity, and grow. Additionally, the VP of Development will be responsible for contributing to the leadership and culture of the organization, working closely with other VP’s and the President to guide the organization and ensure the collaboration and cooperation between departments.
Candidates must be eager to work in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment and able to balance and prioritize competing priorities. Must be able to periodically work long, irregular hours. This position requires an individual who can serve as a thought leader in the organization and partner to the President.
- Advance development plan to meet yearly budgetary and programmatic needs with an eye towards growth.
- Collaborate with President and executive team to help develop narratives that demonstrate organizational and programmatic impact and opportunities
- Oversee Rock the Vote’s grant program, collaborating with and overseeing grant writer, ensuring they have required information and support for proposals and support, working with the program team to identify new opportunities for funding; management of the grant calendar, maintenance and growth of foundation relationships.
- Coordinate with VP of Finance and Operations and VP of Programs to ensure all programs and budgets are accurately described and accounted for with regard to grant proposals and reports
- Collaborate with the President to fully support fostering and maintaining relationships with donors to grow the donor base proactively identifying new prospects
- Manage the major donor program including deep relationship management and increases both the number of major donors and and amounts
- Develop and grow a low-dollar fundraising program implementing a donor stewardship program to maximize donor giving capacity
- Direct and manage the fundraising email and social media program actively testing communications in coordination with the civic technology team
- Collaborate with the VP of Marketing and Communications to maximize sales on Rock the Vote’s store or other merchandising opportunities
- Collaborate with President to implement Board involvement and contributions to fundraising program, including supporting board development and establishing and directing national, regional and auxiliary advisory boards
- Plan, manage, and execute fundraising in-person and virtual events and campaigns
- Oversee all donor acknowledgement and relationships at all levels.
- Work in partnership and collaboratively with all department leads and serve in a senior leadership capacity with the organization.
- 8-10 years of non-profit and/or political fundraising, with some portion at a national level.
- Experience with both c3 and c4 funders – including foundations.
- Experience writing c3 and c4 fundraising plans.
- Ability to serve as counselor to President on all matters relating to Development.
- Dedication to maintaining donor relationships on behalf of a principal, versus holding the relationship.
- Proven and highly effective written and oral communication skills, with an ability to distill complex information into easy to understand messages under pressure
- Experience managing both staff and consultants
- Experience producing events or running fundraising campaigns
- Ability to work independently, with a commitment to open and honest communication.
- Extensive experience working with boards
- Adaptability and ability to work with and manage relationships with different personalities
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Experience creating and implementing sustainable systems.
- Commitment to working collaboratively and in partnership with organizational leaders.
- Preferred experience directing or managing programs
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary range is 90,000 – 110,000
- Competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, and vision premiums, 100% of medical premiums for employee dependents, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, employer retirement contributions (Simple IRA), cell phone stipend, professional development opportunities, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and at least 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “VP of Development”.
Rock the Vote is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for a diverse applicant pool and strongly encourage women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community, and persons from low-income and working-class backgrounds to apply.