Vice President of Finance and Operations
Rock the Vote seeks a Vice President of Finance and Operations. This position is part of the Rock the Vote senior executive team and reports to the President. The position location is Washington, DC, but will be remote during the pandemic.
The VP of Finance and Operations has primary responsibility for ensuring the effective and efficient financial, administrative, and operational functions of Rock the Vote.
The VP will play a critical role as a member of Rock the Votes senior executive team in strategic decision-making and operations as Rock the Vote continues to enhance its quality programming, build capacity, and grow. Additionally, the VP of Development will be responsible for contributing to the leadership and culture of the organization, working closely with other VP’s and the President to guide the organization and ensure the collaboration and cooperation between departments.
Candidates must be eager to work in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment, which could include long or irregular hours, with some weekend hours during busy times. Ability to balance and prioritize competing priorities. This position requires an individual who can serve as a thought leader in the organization and partner to the President.
- Develops annual budget for 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 arms of the organization.
- Responsible for review and maintenance of monthly financials in partnership with Rock the Vote’s accounting firm.
- Oversee that all bills are paid in a timely manner and track money in and money out to ensure organizational financial health and adherence to budget.
- Development of contracts and invoices for accounts receivable
- Manage the annual audit on behalf of the organization.
- Manage the internal Human Resources for the organization in partnership with HR consultants. This includes the recruitment of new staff and managing the hiring and onboarding process, as well as developing and maintaining an annual review process, timesheet and payroll processes, and retirement account contributions.
- Develop and maintain systems to organize critical organizational documents per law, bylaws, and for organizational continuity.
- Work with the Development department to track and report grant financials.
- Negotiate, review, and track all contracts and contractors to ensure compliance.
- Maintenance of appropriate business insurance, leases, state compliance, taxes, licensure, and charity registrations.
- Management of physical offices and ensure all remote staff have what they need to be successful.
- Oversee administrative staff and the following consultants: accounting firm, HR firm, legal, and accounts payable.
- Manage and direct the Rock the Vote internship program.
- Oversee organizational development and culture.
- 8-10 years of non-profit operations or management.
- Fundamental understanding of 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 operations and requirements for each.
- Ability to serve as counselor to President on all matters relating to finance and operations.
- Experience creating and managing multi-million dollar budgets.
- Experience managing both staff and consultants.
- Proven and highly effective written and oral communication skills, with an ability to distill complex information into easy to understand messages.
- Ability to work independently, with a commitment to open and honest communication..
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple deadlines.
- Experience creating and implementing sustainable systems.
- Commitment to working collaboratively and in partnership with organizational leaders.
- Background in American politics preferred, but not required.
Salary and Benefits:
- Starting salary range is 90,000 – 110,000
- Competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, and vision premiums, 100% of medical premiums for employee dependents, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, employer retirement contributions (Simple IRA), cell phone stipend, professional development opportunities, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and at least 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “VP of Finance and Operations”.
Rock the Vote is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for a diverse applicant pool and strongly encourage women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community, and persons from low-income and working-class backgrounds to apply.