Rock the Vote seeks a Communications Director to join our team in Washington, DC to oversee and execute our communications efforts for the 2020 election cycle. This is an onsite position open immediately.
The Communications Director will be responsible for developing and executing the organization’s communication strategy to elevate the organization’s brand and its efforts, to uplift the story of youth civic engagement and voting rights, and to reach the organization’s target audience of youth with research-driven strategy and messaging.
We encourage you to apply for this position if you are passionate about youth empowerment and democracy and have communications experience in campaign-like environments. This position requires an individual who takes pride in execution of strategy and attention to detail, is a creative problem-solver, likes leading and working in a team, can maintain multiple responsibilities and can stay on top of information and tasks in a fast-paced organization.
- Drive high-level communications strategies to both elevate the brand and its work and to mobilize target youth audience with research-driven tactics and compelling messaging.
- Develop and execute communication strategies designed to advance the goals of corporate and nonprofit partnerships and coalition initiatives.
- Coordinate with internal team and consultants to ensure consistent messaging and high standards are maintained throughout all platforms and programs, and that all strategic opportunities are successfully leveraged.
- Lead a team of consultants to manage public relations, social media, content development and production, talent engagement and programming and emerging digital tactics.
- Facilitate the creation of a wide array of research-driven communication assets for different programming and objectives, including youth voter registration, education and mobilization initiatives, nonprofit and corporate partnerships, issue campaigns, programs, brand elevation and organizational positioning, and fundraising efforts. Output will include scripts, creative briefs, fact sheets, videos, podcasts, memos, polling, op-eds, statements, presentations, and talking points.
- Oversee rockthevote.org content.
- Represent Rock the Vote in press availabilities, conferences and meetings as needed.
- Direct media-related events, including monthly reporter calls to shape 2020 youth vote narrative.
- Proactively support media-entertainment partnership development and execution, such as pitching, messaging workshops and guidance, development of polls, and marketing activations.
- Ensure team members, ambassadors and board members are prepared for interviews and other speaking engagements.
- Communicate with national and local reporters, respond quickly to reporter inquiries.
- Test new approaches to targeting, modes of communication, and platforms to develop a strategy that maximizes civic participation in 2020 and beyond.
- Measure progress to goals and identify learnings for reporting and improving programming.
- Perform other duties as needed to support Rock the Vote’s goals and mission.
- 8 years political or nonprofit communications experience.
- Experience managing a team of staff and/or consultants.
- An aptitude for research and data analytics.
- On the record/on camera press experience.
- Proven and highly effective written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in both political and cultural current affairs.
- Experience writing campaign materials for target audiences.
- A team player with a positive attitude.
- Ability to multitask and shift priorities.
- aptitude for working under deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to both strategy and getting shit done.
- A willingness to work long and irregular hours as necessary.
The position will work very closely with and report directly to Rock the Vote’s President. Some travel may be required.
Salary negotiable based on background and experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision and a simple IRA. Full-time regular position, overtime exempt.
Submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements or history and at least 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Director”.
Rock the Vote is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for a diverse applicant pool and strongly encourage women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community, and persons from low-income and working-class backgrounds to apply.