Voting in Virginia
Voter Registration In Virginia
Who Can Register In Virginia
To register to vote in Virginia, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes)
- Be at least 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election)
- Not have been currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- Not have been convicted of a felony, or if convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state
You must register to vote at least 22 days before the election you wish to vote in.
Virginia Election Day Registration
Virginia does not offer Election Day registration, so be sure to submit your voter registration before the deadline.
You can pre-register to vote in Virginia when you turn 17 if you will turn 18 by the next general election.
Voting Rights Restoration
Virginia does remove voting rights for people with felony convictions. You need to apply with the governor for restoration of voting rights, and you are eligible to apply once released from incarceration.
If you have a past conviction, learn more about your eligibility to vote here.
Voting In Virginia
Where To Vote In Virginia
Vote-by-mail & Absentee
All voters are eligible to vote absentee/by mail in Virginia; no excuse is needed.
Early Voting In Virginia
Virginia offers in-person early voting. No excuse is needed to vote early. Early voting begins 45 days before election day.
Primary Elections In Virginia
Virginia has open primaries. Any registered voter may participate in any political party's primary election. 17-year-olds can vote in the primary election if they will be 18 by the corresponding general election.
Voter ID In Virginia
Voter ID Requirements
ID is required to vote in Virginia. Valid forms of ID include:
- Voter confirmation documents you received after you registered to vote
- Virginia DMV-issued Driver’s License or Identification Card
- Valid United States Passport
- Any ID card issued by the US, Virginia, or a local Virginia government
- Any student ID card issued by a US university or community
- Valid student ID issued by a public school or private school in Virginia
- Employer-issued photo ID card
- Any current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document with your name and address
- An ID Confirmation Statement
-Valid Tribal ID
Additional Virginia Resources
Your State Election Official
Virginia Commissioner of the Department of Elections
Phone number: 804.864.8901; 800.552.9745 (toll free)