Rock the Vote seeks an Organizing Director to join our team in Washington, DC to oversee our relational organizing efforts and volunteer programming. This is an onsite position open immediately.
The Organizing Director will be responsible for building Rock the Vote’s grassroots relational organizing operation and empowering volunteers and ambassadors to organize their own personal networks (friends, family, colleagues, schoolmates, etc.) with a focus on youth of color. This position reports directly to the president/executive director.
The Organizing Director will use distributed organizing methods to implement the organization’s robust volunteer relational organizing strategy. This includes managing remote volunteers, leading mass digital trainings, and producing training materials that allow for grassroots organizing at a national scale. The Director of Organizing should be firmly grounded in civic engagement – voter registration, education, mobilization and protection.
Candidates should have strong community organizing expertise, be excited at the prospect of growing with our organization and welcome the opportunity to be a thought partner and team member to a small but exceptional staff.
We encourage you to apply for this position if you are excited about direct volunteer management and empowerment and are passionate about investing time and resources into deep organizing and trainings. This position requires an individual who likes leading and working in a team, can maintain multiple responsibilities and can stay on top of information and tasks in a fast-paced organization. The ideal candidate excels at volunteer team management, public speaking, and leadership development.
Directs and manages the development and implementation of a distributed volunteer organizing program, including recruitment, training, and managing to meet voter contact and capacity-building goals.
Design, build and manage distributed ambassador and volunteer program that train and empower campaign supporters to engage their personal networks.
Direct and manage communications systems, databases, strategic and tactical plans to achieve goals that incorporate logic models, work plans, and evaluations.
- Spearheads the training and professional development of ambassadors and volunteers to engage in relational and community organizing and mobilization.
- Create and manage training programs, large and small training webinars and instructional materials for civic technology, mobile app, best practice tactics, and state policies.
- Ensure that all organizing volunteers and ambassadors are properly trained on the technical aspects of their roles, and work with them to fill the gaps and raise the floor of productivity.
Management and Oversight
- Plan and schedule text and emails and host frequent national calls/webinars to mobilize ambassadors and volunteers, build momentum, provide ongoing updates, report results, recognize super volunteers, foster a team-oriented environment and keep motivation high in an elevated stress, goals-driven environment.
- Oversee the development, tracking, and frequent reporting on progress to goals on key relational organizing hard metrics.
- Develop strategies and systems that lead volunteers and ambassadors to successfully meet weekly organizing metrics, as well as maintain data integrity.
- Hold accountable and empower and support ambassadors in pursuit of goals and critical aspects of distributed program.
Outreach and Coordination
- Maintain nonprofit relationships with state and local organizations to coordinate efforts and increase trust and buy-in for in-state activities.
- Coordinate with other team members to implement strategic action campaigns into relational organizing efforts, including the 2020 Census.
- Represent Rock the Vote at conferences and meetings with political, media and nonprofit organizations as needed.
- Identify creative ways to leverage corporate partners to maximize growth and sustainability of relational organizing program and support ambassador and volunteer efforts.
- Excellent community organizing skills and minimum 5 years of experience; demonstrated success in organizing, strategizing, implementing, and identifying victories on organizing campaigns.
- Experience with distributed volunteer teams, either as a staff organizer or volunteer, strongly preferred.
- Skills and tools for facilitating youth led initiatives and participatory planning; the candidate must be able to motivate youth and support youth self-determination while also creating and enforcing systems of accountability.
- Experience with a Mac computer, Google Sheets, Slack, and Asana, or other project management software strongly preferred.
- Comfortable learning new technology for organizing and voter engagement that is critical to program implementation, training and tracking.
- Inspirational presence, reliable leadership, and excellent group and individual rapport-building and communication skills (written and verbal) in a range of relationships and environments.
- Comfortable working in fast-paced, changing environments with ability to maintain long hours, including irregular times such as nights and weekends and occasional travel.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills and ability to navigate complex and nuanced situations.
- Goal-oriented and self-disciplined; able to meet tight deadlines and multitask.
Salary negotiable based on background and experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision and a simple IRA. Full-time regular position, overtime exempt.
Submit cover letter, resume, salary requirements or history and at least 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Organizing Director”.
Rock the Vote is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for a diverse applicant pool and strongly encourage women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community, and persons from low-income and working class backgrounds to apply.