Voting in Louisiana
Voter Registration In Louisiana
Who Can Register In Louisiana
To register to vote in Louisiana, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be a resident of Louisiana and of the parish in which you wish to register
- Be at least 17 years old, or 16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles
- Not have been declared “non-compos mentis” or “mentally incompetent” by a court of law
- Not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony, or if under such an order not have been incarcerated pursuant to the order within the last five years (if you have a past conviction, learn more about your eligibility to vote here)
You must register to vote at least 20 days prior to an election if registering online or 30 days prior to an election if registering in person or by mail.
Louisiana Election Day Registration
Louisiana does not offer Election Day registration, so be sure to submit your voter registration before the deadline.
You can pre-register to vote in person in Louisiana when you turn 16, or by any method when you turn 17.
Voting Rights Restoration
Louisiana only restores the right to vote if you appear in person at the registrar of voters office, complete a voter registration application, and provide documentation to prove that you have completed your probation and/or parole or that you have not been incarcerated within the last five years and are not under an order of imprisonment related to a felony conviction for election fraud or any other election offense. The application and documentation may be submitted by mail if you are unable to appear in person due to a disability.
If you have a past conviction, learn more about your eligibility to vote here.
Voting In Louisiana
Where To Vote In Louisiana
You can search for your polling place here.
Vote-by-mail & Absentee
Voters can only vote by mail in Louisiana with an approved excuse.
Early Voting In Louisiana
Louisiana offers in-person early voting. No excuse is needed to vote early. Early voting begins 14 days before the election (15 if there is a state holiday) and ends 7 days before the election.
Primary Elections In Louisiana
Louisiana has closed presidential primaries and open congressional primaries. Voters registered with a particular party may only vote in that party's presidential primary. Any registered voter can participate in primary congressional elections, regardless of political party. 17-year-olds cannot vote in any primary election even if they will be 18 by the corresponding general election.
Voter ID In Louisiana
Voter ID Requirements
Photo ID is required to vote in Louisiana. Valid forms of ID include:
- Louisiana driver's license
- a Louisiana special identification card
- LA Wallet digital driver's license
- other generally recognized picture identification card that contains the name and signature of the applicant
If you do not have an approved form of ID, all registered voters may obtain a free Louisiana special identification card by presenting a voter information card to the Office of Motor Vehicles. If you go to your polling place without an approved form of ID, you may still cast your vote by signature on a voter affidavit.
Additional Louisiana Resources
Your State Election Official
Louisiana Secretary of State
R. Kyle Ardoin
Phone number: 225.922.0900