Voting in Virginia
Voter Registration In Virginia
Who Can Register In Virginia
To register to vote in Virginia, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be a resident of Virginia (a person who has come to Virginia for temporary purposes and intends to return to another state is not considered a resident for voting purposes)
- Be at least 18 years old (any person who is 17 years old and will be eighteen years of age at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election)
- Not have been currently declared mentally incompetent by a court of law
- Not have been convicted of a felony, or if convicted of a felony, your right to vote must have been restored
- Not be registered and plan to vote in another state
You must register to vote at least 22 days before the election you wish to vote in.
Virginia Election Day Registration
Virginia does not offer Election Day registration, so be sure to submit your voter registration before the deadline.
You can pre-register to vote in Virginia if you will turn 18 by the next election.
Voting Rights Restoration
Virginia doesn’t restore automatically the right to vote. If you have been convicted of a felony, you must apply to the governor for a restoration of your voting rights.
If you have a past conviction, learn more about your eligibility to vote here.
Voting In Virginia
Where To Vote In Virginia
Find your voting location options here. Data is still being made available across states – if you don't see voting locations yet for your address, check back in a few days!
Vote-by-mail & Absentee
Voters do not need an excuse to vote absentee/by-mail in Virginia.
Early Voting In Virginia
Voters do not need an excuse to vote early/in-person absentee
Primary Elections In Virginia
Virginia has open primaries. Any registered voter may participate in any political party's primary election. 17-year-olds can vote in the primary election if they will be 18 by the corresponding general election.
Voter ID In Virginia
Voter ID Requirements
A form of identification is required to vote in Virginia. Valid forms of ID include:
- Voter confirmation documents you received after you registered to vote
- Virginia DMV-issued Driver’s License or Identification Card
- Valid United States Passport
- Any ID card issued by the US, Virginia, or a local Virginia government
- Any student ID card issued by a US university or community
- Valid student ID issued by a public school or private school in Virginia
- Employer-issued photo ID card
- Any current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document with your name and address
- An ID Confirmation Statement
Voters who arrive at the polls without an acceptable form of ID will be required to either sign an ID Confirmation Statement or vote a provisional ballot. If a voter completes a provisional ballot, they will be given written instructions from the election officials on how to submit a copy of their identification or sign and submit an ID Confirmation Statement so that their vote can be counted.
Voters will then have until noon on the Friday following the election to deliver a copy of the identification or sign and submit an ID Confirmation Statement to the local electoral board. Voters may submit a copy of their ID of ID Confirmation Statement via fax, email, in-person submission, or through USPS or commercial delivery service. Please note that the copy of the ID or signed ID Confirmation Statement must be delivered to the electoral board by noon on the Friday following the election, or the provisional ballot cannot be counted. A Friday postmark will not be sufficient if either of these are not delivered to the electoral board by noon on Friday.
The written notice given to the voter will provide the necessary information, including email, fax, and address where the ID or ID Confirmation Statement should be delivered.
Additional Virginia Resources
Your State Election Official
Virginia Commissioner of the Department of Elections
Phone number: 804.864.8901; 800.552.9745 (toll free)