Voter Registration In West Virginia
Who Can Register In West Virginia
To register to vote in West Virginia, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be a legal resident of West Virginia and of the county where you am applying
- Be at least 17 years of age and will be 18 on or before the next general election.
- Not have been judged incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction
- Not currently be under conviction, probation or parole for election bribery, treason, or any felony
You must register to vote at least 21 days before the election you wish to vote in.
West Virginia Election Day Registration
West Virginia does not offer Election Day registration, so be sure to submit your voter registration before the deadline.
You can pre-register to vote in West Virginia if you will turn 18 by the next election.
Voting Rights Restoration
West Virginia does restore the right to vote upon completion of sentence, including parole and probation.
If you have a past conviction, learn more about your eligibility to vote here.
Voting In West Virginia
Where To Vote In West Virginia
You can search for your polling place here.
Vote-by-mail & Absentee
In West Virginia, the terms “vote by mail,” “absentee voting,” and “absentee voting by mail” refer to the same process. Voters can typically only vote absentee in West Virginia with an approved excuse. During COVID-19, concerns about the pandemic are considered an approved excuse.
To request an absentee ballot in West Virginia, submit an application online through the application portal, or submit a paper application to your county clerk via fax, U.S. mail, email, or hand delivery. Voters must complete the paper application in their own handwriting unless they have a physical disability.
Click here to track your West Virginia absentee ballot.
To return your West Virginia absentee ballot, mail it back or return it in person at the local county clerk’s office. Your ballot must be received by the clerk’s office by the day before Election Day.
Early Voting In West Virginia
West Virginia offers in-person early voting. No excuse is needed to vote early. Early voting begins 13 days before an election and ends 3 days before the election day.
Primary Elections In West Virginia
West Virginia has semi-open primaries. Voters registered with a particular party may only vote in that party's primary, but unaffiliated voters may choose any primary ballot. 17-year-olds can vote in the primary election if they will be 18 by the corresponding general election.
Voter ID In West Virginia
Voter ID Requirements
ID is required to vote in West Virginia. Valid forms of ID include:
- Voter registration card
- Medicare card or Social Security card
- Birth certificate
- WV hunting or fishing license
- WV SNAP ID card
- WV TANF program ID card
- WV Medicaid ID card
- Bank or debit card
- Utility bill or bank statement issued within six months of the date of the election
- Health insurance card issued to the voter
- WV driver’s license or other WV ID card issued by the DMV
- Driver’s license issued by another state
- U.S. passport or passport card
- Military ID card issued by the U.S.
- U.S. or WV Government employee ID card
- Student ID card
- A concealed carry (pistol/revolver) permit
Exemptions to the ID requirement are:
1. Signed, sworn statement by an adult who has known the voter for 6 months or more
2. A poll worker knows the voter
3. Residents of State Care Facilities
If you do not have an approved form of ID, you can apply for a free Voter ID Card from your county clerk. Applications must be submitted in person at the county clerk’s office, and voters can choose to be mailed their Voter ID Card or pick them up at the county clerk’s office.
If you go to your polling place without an approved form of ID, you can vote a provisional ballot. Before canvass, the provisional ballot signature is compared to the voter’s registration signature. If the signatures match, the vote should count.
Additional West Virginia Resources
Your State Election Official
West Virginia Secretary of State
Phone number: 304.558.6000; 866.767.8683 (toll free)